mercredi 14 janvier 2009

A pursuit far from trivial

I survived a game of Trivial Pursuit last night. Not to be expected as an ordeal some might think, and I would agree, hadn't it been the French version. Firstly, merely understanding the questions is a quiz on its own. Luckily I chose my team-mate wisely. Damir the Bright joined me, he's so courageous (!), our Swedishness must have brought us together.
Quick note: if I ever went on "Who wants to be a millionaire" (fat chance), and actually ended up in the chair (even slighter chance), Damir would be my-friend-to-call, all categories. Except for sports perhaps, no offence D. Plus, he speaks French like any other Frenchman. You see the advantage.
Back to the game; after almost 2 hours of excruciating shame, me not being able to answer a single question (the ones I actually knew, well, everyone else knew them aswell and were quick enough. Example: Which remake by Peter Jackson with Naomi Watts came out recently etc etc...?), finally my team won! Unbelievable. Not thanks to my extraordinary input though. Far from it. I learned some new things though; the drink Bloody Mary was invented in 1921, the Lewinsky-affaire is called "Monicagate", Saddam Hussein wanted to recreate the Babylonian empire, Gustave Flaubert's home is now a museum. Essential things like that. But we won! That's what's important! Not doing your best. No no. Winning is what matters.
I am going through a bit of an extential crisis. Not as much "who am I, what is the meaning of life", but more what to do with my little self (see recent update). Funnily enough, life has its peculiar way of playing games with me, although this time for the better. Sat in the métro last night and lazily browsed through the ads which flashes by, and suddenly my peepholes fell upon something; "expo-langues" this weekend! They have a whole expo on languages, courses, internship and education! Exactly what I need to get inspired! So there I have it, I'll go Saturday to pick up tips here and there, maybe build some bridges, make some friends, who knows.
Gym tonight! Yay! No I'm not an exercise-freak... I just sort of like it there. Or rather, since I'm ridiculously self-righteous, I like the feeling afterwards, of how I've "achieved" something. How pretentious of me. By the way, have to mention an episode which occured to me Monday morning at the gym. Worth to mention, in Sweden people don't talk to each other at the gym, except if they know each other, or are really forced to interact like, say, "hey dude, you're sitting on my shirt" or such. You come to the gym, you do your business, you leave. Almost unnoticed. In France though, it doesn't go down that way. There I was trodding away like mad on the tread-mill, face all read, covered in sweat. Noticed suddenly how my neighbour starts eyeing me (discreetly though, atleast he tried). Didn't think much of it, kinda happens every now and then, seeing as it is a bit rare with a big blond in those parts of town. After having finished, this dude (grey-haired, way older than me, could have been my grandpa! Or atleast Dad) comes up to me and starts asking me questions such as "how do you like the club, do you come here often etc". And then, suddenly, "you're not French right, you're Swedish right, you work in a shop right", and red lights started flashing like mad in my head. Apparently this guy thinks I'm someone he had coffee with at some point, and when I said no, that's impossible, he didn't give in! If that was a way of trying to pick me up, it must have been the lamest attempt I have ever seen. Anywho, fun anecdote atleast.
Last but not least I want to take this opportunity to give a bit of a shout-out to everyone in Paris with a sweet-tooth; come to my shop and buy something! I'm bored!

xxxx

Aucun commentaire: